I love C.S. Lewis’ book, The Screwtape Letters! We recently studied it in our homeschool, including listening to a terrific audio version. I jumped at the chance to review a book modelled after it: As One Devil to Another.
As One Devil to Another, by Richard Platt, is an example of “diabolical correspondence” in the tradition C. S. Lewis. In it, you will find letters from the demon, Slashreap, to his protege, the demon Scardagger, while the latter tries to win his first soul for hell. Through this correspondence, Platt illuminates scripture, as well as warning us about the devious ways in which the devil works against us. This is The Screwtape Letters taken into the twenty-first century, with the battle being over a female soul, instead of a male one.
Unlike with The Screwtape Letters, I did not agree with the perspectives on everything in this book. I also missed the charm of The Screwtape Letters, being set back as it is, during World War II. One of the elements I did thoroughly enjoy, though, is its opinion of modern art, as it’s the same as mine! It is a lot of fun to read this book, with the usual perspective turned on its head, and “The Adversary” being God instead of the devil. I can imagine having a lot of fun discussing this in a Bible study or for high school students in the homeschool.
The book itself is a very nice, sturdy, trade-paperback – a pleasure to hold and read. You can watch a video about As One Devil to Another, read the first chapter, and download a free discussion guide (which would be useful for Bible study or homeschool study) at AsOneDeviltoAnother.com Retail price is $16.99. It is available on Amazon.ca for $12.26 or look for it at your favourite online or local bookstore.
And now for the giveaway! Here is how to enter:
- MANDATORY entry – leave a blog post below
- EXTRA entry – Like Homeschooling in Nova Scotia on Facebook and leave a blog post below letting me know
- EXTRA entry – Like As One Devil to Another on Facebook and leave a blog post below letting me know
- EXTRA entry – Follow HomeschoolingNS on Twitter and leave a blog post below letting me know
- EXTRA entry – Tweet about this giveaway on Twitter and leave a blog post below letting me know
- EXTRA entry – Like this post, below, on Facebook and leave a blog post letting me know
This giveaway CLOSES Tuesday, May 8th at midnight Atlantic Time and is open to all residents of Canada and the U.S.