Check out these wonderful 2021 Black Friday Deals for homeschoolers (as well as Cyber Monday)! I’ll be adding to this page as more deals crop up over the weekend, so be sure to check back.Continue reading “2021 Black Friday Deals for Homeschoolers”
It’s November 1st already! Where did the year go? The good news is, with November comes National Novel Writing Month – it’s NaNoWriMo time again! Write a novel this month.
My husband and I will each be working on a book this month. Unlike my hubby, I’m a nonfiction writer, so I’ll be working on my Geek Schooling book. In the past, any number of family members would be writing a novel at this time, including our two children. (I should remind my daughter that it’s Nanowrimo time – she’s away at college but still may want to participate.)
What is NaNoWriMo?
In case you’ve never heard of it, National Novel Writing Month happens every year in November. The challenge is to write a novel this month – yes an entire novel in only 30 days. Start November 1st and finish by midnight on November 30th. People of all ages are participating in NanoWriMo all around the world! The best part is, everyone wins. Meet your word count and get a certificate of participation at the end of the 30 days.
The Young Writers Program
There are many free tools available on the sites to help write your novel, that homeschoolers will especially enjoy. If your child is under 13, send them to the How NaNoWriMo Works for Young Writers page! Visit the How NaNoWriMo Works for Educators page for for lesson plans and workbooks for all grade levels – these can be used at any time of year, too. Adults must write a full 50,000 words, but the Young Writers Program allows writers who are 17 years old and younger to set reasonable, yet challenging, word-count goals.
If your child is 13 or older, they can opt to sign up on the main site at www.nanowrimo.org. Just remember that they will have to meet the goal of 50,000 words since the adult site doesn’t allow you to set your own word-count goal.
You and your child can have fun and encourage each other by writing a novel alongside each other all month long. Our children started writing for NaNoWriMo when they were very young. Which also reminds me, I should dig out their early writings for some nostalgic fun this month.
Who will write a novel this month and take the NaNoWriMo challenge in your family? Please let me know in the comments below! Happy writing everyone!
Love, Luck &
Check out these terrific Black Friday Deals for homeschoolers this 2020 year (as well as Cyber Monday)! I’ll be adding to this page as more deals crop up over the weekend, so be sure to check back.Continue reading “Black Friday Deals for Homeschoolers 2020”
The fact you’re here, reading this article tells me that you care about your child’s education. I know it can feel overwhelming for a parent considering homeschooling. There are so many things to consider, so many things to do, and what seems like so little time until school starts. So, where do you start?Continue reading “Yes You Can Homeschool and This Can Help!”
In case you didn’t know, in addition to this website, I also run another website, Geek Schooling. I started it after having posted a lot about geek schooling here on Homeschooling in Nova Scotia and wanting to branch out and reach a wider audience beyond our province.
This week, I appeared on Shout Your Cause with Sally Hendrick. I had a such a great time chatting about my favourite topics. We discussed delight directed learning and geek schooling, including homeschooling during the pandemic, and more. Here it is! Just click the play button to watch below.Continue reading “Learn about Delight Directed Learning and Geek Schooling”
Spelling doesn’t have to be boring or tedious. Spelling can be fun! Toss those work sheets and spelling tests aside and give some of these resources a try for spelling fun in your homeschool. Spelling is important. Because spell check doesn’t catch everything!Continue reading “Spelling Fun in Your Homeschool”
As we head into week 3 of our new normal amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, I’m bringing you 5 days of fun schooling ideas for your home. Enjoy!
Homeschool fun, for me, isn’t only the subjects or activities you and your children find fun (such as fibre arts for art class), it’s also finding the fun in your homeschool day. This can be particularly important as you’re winding down your homeschool year and everyone wants to be done!
Finding the Fun in Your Homeschool Day
How do you find the fun? Part of it is having the right state of mind. Wake up determined that you’ll have fun today! The fun may happen between bouts of sibling bickering or whining about math – finding the fun doesn’t mean it will be a perfect day, but try to find some moments to enjoy!
Easy, Fun Ideas
- Are you working on spelling today? Incorporate some phys. ed. with your child’s spelling and have them jump rope or jump on a mini trampoline while spelling out “e-x-e-r-c-i-s-e, exercise”!
- Is it read aloud time? Do you usually read aloud to your children yourself? How about taking turns instead? Whoever isn’t reading can work on some of those fibre arts projects or other handiwork.
- Are your children studying their multiplication tables? Sing them or rap them today instead! If you don’t feel comfortable making up your own song or rap, let the children try (you might be surprised to find out how easily coming up with lyrics can be), or use Audio Memories if you like.
- Is it time for penmanship? How about posting big pieces of newsprint on the wall and letting the children paint their copywork with paint and a paintbrush. Or if you have a writing tablet for your computer or gaming console, let them write it on the tablet (it may not be nearly as legible, but it is fun)!
- Are you reading the Bible today? Don’t just read it – act it out! Act out Moses’ confrontation with Pharaoh, or create a skit depicting the love passage from Corinthians (Love is Patient, Love is Kind).
- Get outside for science!
- Studying plants? Go look at some!
- The sky? Study at night – lay outside on a blanket and look up.
- Simple machines in physics? Build some using things in your yard.
- Are you doing some art today? Turn on some beautiful music while you do your lesson, maybe some Mozart or Beethoven, or even something to sing along to while you draw.
- Are your children studying logic/critical thinking? Watch some commercials and point out the logical fallacies to each other – commercials by political candidates are extremely entertaining for this exercise!
- How about a theme for the day?
- Backwards Day: Have breakfast for supper, walk backwards, dress backwards, start with what you usually end your homeschooling day with.
- Pyjama Day: No getting dressed today!
- Silly Hat Day: Start the day by making silly hats and then wear them the rest of the day.
The possibilities are endless! I challenge you to find the fun with your children this week! What did you do? Please let me know in the comments below.
Love, Luck &
Please note: This article was originally published in May 2018 and has been revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
One of the questions I get asked about homeschooling is, “Where can I get Canadian homeschool curricula?” Well, here is a whole bunch in one convenient Canadian homeschool resource sale!
Canadian Homeschool Resource Sale!
Canadian resources for geography, history, French, and more! Yay! You’ll find curriculum from providers such as The Canadian Homeschooler, Unlock Math, and Hip Homeschooling in the Canadian Learning Bundle. Here it all is, broken down so you can see which resources will fit you and your kids.
- 8 weeks of fall lessons from Artsy Startsy. $96 value.
- Timeline: 1867 to Today: Designed for grades 4 and up, but adaptable for all levels. $9.99 value.
- 3 unit studies from Hip Homeschooling: Sharks, Penguins, and Beavers. Designed for early elementary grades. $15 value.
- French Sing & Learn Vol. 2. $2.99 value.
- North America Continent Connection from Making Montessori Ours. $6.99 value.
For Middle School
- Basic Grammar for All Writers. For middle school and high school students. $27 value.
- Unlock Math: 1 month subscription to Pre-Algebra. $49 value.
- Canada 150, Current Events, and Terry Fox Resources from Diana Bailey. $13 value.
For High School
- Basic Grammar for All Writers. For middle school and high school students. $27 value.
- Unlock Math: 1 month subscription to Algebra 1, 2, or Geometry. $49 value.
For All Ages
- Modern Student Planner from Plum Cheeky Solutions. $12.20 value.
- Canada: The First Fifty Years, digital resource guide for 1867-1917. $30 value.
- Homeschool Digital Organization Pack – Student Desktop Organizing Wallpapers are useful for all ages. $7 value.
- Canadian Online Homeschool Conference All Access Pass. Recordings of all 30 sessions + downloads. $97 value.
- Deluxe Homeschool Planner. $15 value.
- Homeschooling, Simplified: What Matters Most ebook. $3.36 US value.
- 5 Days to Your Best Homeschool Years ecourse. $47 value.
- Email Homeschool Mini-Consult. $40 value.
- Homeschool Digital Organization Pack – desktop organizing wallpapers, resource organization spreadsheet, teacher resource spreadsheet, and homeschool budget spreadsheet. $7 value.
And that’s not all – there are bonuses, too! Altogether it adds up to $450 in resources for only $27 CDN. That’s over twice as much bang for your buck as last year and all new resources too – but only until August 8th! You don’t have to figure out any US exchange rate, and no shipping charges because it’s all digital! Tap here to learn more about this Canadian homeschool resource sale!
Love, Luck &
Please note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and buy, I make a few pennies to keep up Homeschooling in Nova Scotia. Thanks for your support!
You see those spammy ads about working at home all the time, I’m sure. The ones that promise work at home jobs – easy work for big money. So you wonder, are there truly companies out there that will hire you to work at home?
I am here to tell you that there are!
Are you ready?
Here are five companies that you can apply to today for work at home jobs:
– The Chat Shop (customer support): http://www.thechatshop.com/jobs/live-chat-agent
– TranscribeMe! (transcription): http://transcribeme.com/transcription-jobs
– Leapforce (Search Engine Evaluation): https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/home
– Wonder (research): https://askwonder.com/researcher
– Proofreading Services (proofreading): https://www.proofreadingservices.com/pages/careers
If you have more legitimate work from home jobs to suggest, let me know in the comments below!
Love, Luck &
Getting Organized: Time to Conquer Your Clutter
Are you tired of wasting precious time shuffling papers and looking for your missing shoe, or your vanishing purse? You dream of short-cuts to make your life more organized and conquer your clutter, but is it possible?
I’ve been on a getting organized kick for the past year. I know you have the same great reasons for wanting to be more organized as I do. You want the best for your family. You want to teach your kids to live in calm, not chaos. You want to be patient without losing your mind in the insanity of so much stuff. And you simply want to sa our the time you have, instead of running around chasing clutter. But sometimes it feels too overwhelming.
Maybe you’ve tried to get more organized before, and failed. Or thought you found the perfect system, only to have it not work for you at all. You’re not alone.
I know what it’s like to feel that getting organized shouldn’t be so hard, and the answer definitely isn’t to keep wasting money on more storage containers or pricey planners, either!
What if you could learn from a group of organizing gurus all at once — regular people who’ve found practical solutions to their everyday struggles, and want to share their best tips and tactics with you in all the areas you find most challenging?
Because when you have the right info and tools at your fingertips, it’s so much easier. You know which papers to keep (and which should immediately be thrown away). You’re more confident to say no to activities on your calendar that don’t matter (and yes to those that do). You start learning the difference between what you need and what will only add to the clutter in your home. You feel less stressed (and you’ll probably enjoy life more, too).
That’s why Stephanie and her team have put together the Conquer Your Clutter Super Bundle for the very first time. Their customers have been begging for help with streamlining their lives. The answer was this super opportunity to get a complete collection of organizational resources for a crazy low price.
This package includes 38 digital products to help you declutter every aspect of your life, including how to organize your photos, family systems, meal planning, time management, and much more. Altogether, it’s worth over $650!
Plus, it comes with two brilliant bonus offers worth over $40:
Besides being so incredibly helpful and inspiring, one of the things I like best about this bundle is the price. By offering the bundle for a short time only, they’re able to give you access to over $650 worth of amazing products for a whopping 95% off!
Here’s how it works:
- Visit the website, take a quick look at all the goodness that comes in this Super Bundle, then click “Get my copy now!” to go through their simple 3-step checkout process.
- You’ll receive an email with a login to the online access portal, where you’ll begin downloading your eBooks, signing up for your eCourses, printing out planners, and redeeming your free bonus products.
- Use the Getting Started Guide so you don’t get overwhelmed and can pick which area you want to tackle first and start getting organized!
The most important detail, is that this bundle is available for only 6 days! After Monday night, January 30th, the sale ends and all of these wonderful resource will have to be bought individually.
I’d hate for you to miss out, so click HERE to learn more or to buy the bundle.
It’s even backed by a full money-back happiness guarantee, so you can know for sure that it’s right for you. And it’s all digital, so no pricey shipping costs!
No one should have to feel overwhelmed because it costs too much or they can’t get the help they need. By finding systems and strategies that work for us as moms and homeschoolers, our homes and daily lives can be much calmer than in the past. Getting organized is making all the difference in the world and I want the same for you and your family. Now is the perfect time – when the weather is frightful and you’re cooped up inside!
Love, Luck &
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and buy I make a few pennies to keep up Homeschooling in Nova Scotia. Thanks for your support!